Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Robertcz

Relay personalities Empty Relay personalities

Sun May 17, 2020 7:44 am
Hi,
I have purchased and installed Pandora. I love it, it feels straightforward and just "comfortable" for a Eudora user.
At the moment, I am playing with some of my subsidiary accounts to see how they go before risking an import of my main Eudora data and moving over completely.

One question for now (sorry, might be more soon):

Background

• I have a "catch-all" account on an email server facility. That means that anything that comes to AT domain.com comes into my main account.

• Depending on which account AT domain.com the email comes to, I use a filter to select a personality.

• Each personality send through an SMTP service, as that way I can create multiple FROM: address, like RFP AT domain.com, SCOFF AT domain.com, RFW AT domain.com, etc.

• In Eudora, I tick the "use relay personality" checkbox for have each of these personalities, so that they all send using the server99999 AT smtp.SMTPSERVICE.COM personality, with relevant logins etc.

• Hence, each of these personalities (RFP, SCOFF) are merely internal/from personalities, not used to receive or send, just to classify, but - importantly - appearing as FROM: addresses when I send. That way I can quickly classify all mail relating to each of the various nonprofits I volunteer for, as well as for my main personal address

• The advantage of this is that I only have to put my SMTP service's login details into that one relay personality (which is good if I ever change my SMTP supplier), and I can send from multiple "addresses" (in reality, spoofed) without having to pay for multiple mailboxes on my provider.

So my question:
Is there a possibility of having personalities correctly populate from: etc headers, but use another personality (ie login details for my SMTP provider) to do the actual sending?
This feature was called relay personalities in Eudora.

Workaround
for users who are trying to achieve this, in the absence of this feature, my workaround is as follows:
when setting up personalities: put no details for checking mail, and  replicate the SMTP server login details for each sending personality
use a filter on the main getting personality to change personality to RFP AT DOMAIN.COM if the mail header's TO: is RFP AT DOMAIN.COM

PS sorry for all the "AT", but forum does not let me post at-signs in emails for my first 7 days of membership Smile

Robert
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Relay personalities Empty Re: Relay personalities

Mon May 18, 2020 3:03 pm
Robertcz wrote:

So my question:
Is there a possibility of having personalities correctly populate from: etc headers, but use another personality (ie login details for my SMTP provider) to do the actual sending?
This feature was called relay personalities in Eudora.

Like a ghost (alternative) personality (for sending only) where when you examine saved sent message - nothing indicates that message was sent with relay personality.
Also - outgoing filters do apply as if the original personality was used.

No, but it's on to-do list. There will be one dedicated release for Sending Mail only (and soon) and it will be included there.

If there is anything else to it, details, feel free contact us via Help/Send Feedback/Suggest New Feature.
Robertcz

Relay personalities Empty Relay Personalities

Mon May 18, 2020 3:35 pm
Hope this message is replying to Relay Personalities.
Thanks for that. I of course want filters to assume original not relay personality.
But given that you have used non-proprietary data (XML, yay!) I can hand edit those personalities quickly in a text editor (which I did). If it ever becomes and issue, I can always write a perl script to mass adjust the XML file. So I can work without relay personalities. Nice to have, but not a huge priority. I don't want to waste your time on something I can work around, as I am sure I will find something that I can't work around.

Haven't done the flip-over from Eudora first. I'll have to sit down, work out the cut-off, and go for it.

OOO, I do have a nice to (or maybe it's already there):
I use a gmail account (surnamearchive1 AT gmail.com) to keep my archives (although should probably use outlook, as gmail labels + IMAP = shambles). I noticed that when I sync with IMAP, the filter engine runs. I think I will insert a temporary initial do-nothing-and-stop filter for when I first load my IMAP archives up.

But I do have one question: Eudora had a lot of those "under-the-counter" options, where you typed X-eudora-option (or similar) into a message and clicked on it. Does Pandora have those?  Same ones perhaps?  Is there a list?

Robert
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 am
Robertcz wrote:
But I do have one question: Eudora had a lot of those "under-the-counter" options, where you typed X-eudora-option (or similar) into a message and clicked on it. Does Pandora have those?  Same ones perhaps?  Is there a list?

Of course, Shift + Settings/General
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:59 am
This is done now, will be available in the upcoming release 4.1 (Feb. 2022).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum