Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Less secure apps & your Google Account - Deadline is 30 May 2022 Empty Less secure apps & your Google Account - Deadline is 30 May 2022

Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:49 am
For general information,  Google has announced imminent changes, with a deadline of 30 May 2022, see https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255:

Google wrote:To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, ​​Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. ... If an app or site doesn’t meet our security standards, Google might block anyone who’s trying to sign in to your account from it. Less secure apps can make it easier for hackers to get in to your account, so blocking sign-ins from these apps helps keep your account safe.

I asked Brana about the implications for a third-party app such as Pandora (or Eudora). Here's his reply follows, slightly rearranged / edited to suit this forum [square brackets].

Brana wrote:If you have OAuth2 selected under Personality/Authentication in both places (Sending / Checking), you are all set

Note: OAuth2 by design requires [the app] developer's input, it's one time only, but required nevertheless.  So if your provider is not Gmail or Yahoo, say SomeMail.com, and they decide to switch to OAuth2 you have to wait for that to be implemented.  Unlike all other auth. methods this one is not 100% portable.

In short:
   If you need OAuth2 for Gmail or Yahoo accounts you are good. [Pandora already handles them]
   If you need OAuth2 for SomeMail.com you drop me a line and wait for the next  release [of Pandora]

Perhaps refer also to the following forum post: OAuth2 Steps
eppack

Less secure apps & your Google Account - Deadline is 30 May 2022 Empty Re: Less secure apps & your Google Account - Deadline is 30 May 2022

Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:50 am
I think I'm missing a step or two. I changed one of my gmail accounts to OAuth2 in P, but do I need to do something in the Gmail interface too? In P, when I clicked on the initial test personality I changed to do an outbound check it shows "sending [the title]" and "obtaining OAuth2 tokens" in the tasks, and after a longish time it's still showing "Listening to Port 80" which may or may not be related, just never noticed that before. However, the outbound was still sitting there, showing "obtaining OAuth2 tokens..." And it's been well over an hour now with no movement.

Is there a definitive list of steps to do available? I thought I'd done it right, but obviously I didn't Sad

TIA
elaine
butchkemper
butchkemper

Less secure apps & your Google Account - Deadline is 30 May 2022 Empty Re: Less secure apps & your Google Account - Deadline is 30 May 2022

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:58 pm
eppack wrote:I think I'm missing a step or two. I changed one of my gmail accounts to OAuth2 in P, but do I need to do something in the Gmail interface too? In P, when I clicked on the initial test personality I changed to do an outbound check it shows "sending [the title]" and "obtaining OAuth2 tokens" in the tasks, and after a longish time it's still showing "Listening to Port 80"  which may or may not be related, just never noticed that before. However, the outbound was still sitting there, showing "obtaining OAuth2 tokens..." And it's been well over an hour now with no movement.

Is there a definitive list of steps to do available? I thought I'd done it right, but obviously I didn't Sad

TIA
elaine

Elaine,

The "steps" you are looking for are contained in this posting under Pandora Support.  Brana explains that after step 4, Gmail is expecting a local webpage to respond but a webserver and page do not exist on the local host so Gmail hangs.  The OAuth2 authorization is complete. so close that window and check mail again.

Butch
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:36 am
Regarding that confirmation at the very end, the one that goes through redirection to localhost - Pandora now listens to corresponding http port and acts as temporary web server, so web browser lands on a valid web page (no more "spinning"). If anything, it gives you a peace of mind, and to Pandora - ability to host a web site locally (may come handy in the future for some light-weight debugging/other purposes).

Elaine, you have steps link right above your post - OAuth2 Steps.

There ain't nothing more to it:
1. Right-click on active task, hit Stop.
2. Right-click on your Gmail account and hit Check mail.
3. Your browser window will open, follow the steps.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum