Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Nebular Novice

Initial IMAP disaster Empty Initial IMAP disaster

Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:24 am
I had tested Pandora briefly a bit a few years ago and came back now to see about really learning it and switching to it.  I apparently have a lot to learn.

I downloaded the current version, installed it, and set up a personality for my comcast (xfinity) account using IMAP.  When I checked mail, Pandora nicely downloaded the email from my IMAP Inbox and DELETED it immediately from the server inbox and synced my local copy with that empty inbox.

After a small amount of checking, I found "Leave mail on server" was unchecked.  In some senses, that might explain what happened, but if that is the expected result of leaving that box unchecked, I do not believe the box should be here, let alone uncheck be the default.  What is the point of removing mail from an IMAP box????  Then have the program sync with the empty mailbox!

After I restored the messages in the server inbox (I'm not yet stupid enough to try this without a good backup) and checked leave mail on server, Pandora's inbox now has two copies of each message which is in the server inbox, one read and one unread.

First issue is that checkbox should not exist for an IMAP setup. It makes no sense to do anything other than leave on server.

Second, how do I filter Pandora's inbox to only include one copy of each message?  (All of them are shown as read on the server.)

Thanks.

CWM030 likes this post

CWM030

Initial IMAP disaster Empty Re: Initial IMAP disaster

Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:30 pm
Nebular Novice wrote:I had tested Pandora briefly a bit a few years ago and came back now to see about really learning it and switching to it.  I apparently have a lot to learn.

I downloaded the current version, installed it, and set up a personality for my comcast (xfinity) account using IMAP.  When I checked mail, Pandora nicely downloaded the email from my IMAP Inbox and DELETED it immediately from the server inbox and synced my local copy with that empty inbox.

After a small amount of checking, I found "Leave mail on server" was unchecked.  In some senses, that might explain what happened, but if that is the expected result of leaving that box unchecked, I do not believe the box should be here, let alone uncheck be the default.  What is the point of removing mail from an IMAP box????  Then have the program sync with the empty mailbox!

After I restored the messages in the server inbox (I'm not yet stupid enough to try this without a good backup) and checked leave mail on server, Pandora's inbox now has two copies of each message which is in the server inbox, one read and one unread.

First issue is that checkbox should not exist for an IMAP setup. It makes no sense to do anything other than leave on server.

Second, how do I filter Pandora's inbox to only include one copy of each message?  (All of them are shown as read on the server.)

Thanks.

I 100% agree!!!

For NON POP accounts set up in Pan, Pan should automatically just leave mail on the server and not copy it to the local folders. Every other email client out there does that!  

I had A LOT of double emails in various folders after using Pan.  Crying or Very sad  Evil or Very Mad

Chris
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum