Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Rog7
Rog7

Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared Empty Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared

Tue May 16, 2023 5:24 pm
This morning all was OK.  This afternoon Pandora.exe had mysteriously disappeared. I had updated to v5.2.0.2 on the 14th May.

Contents of ProgramFiles/Pandora still look intact (except Pandora.exe).  I have no Idea how this happened although I have been out leaving the PC on (I live alone and the house was locked), as usual, but Pandora was not running when I left.

So I decided to reinstall Pandora and downloaded v5.2 to do this. However, it won't install, I get an Access Denied error, see attached.

What can I try next?Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared Image-15
Rog7
Rog7

Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared Empty I'm an idiot!

Tue May 16, 2023 7:05 pm
Embarassed  I never clicked Run as Administrator - that was my problem.

Sorry to have troubled you
Keith
butchkemper
butchkemper

Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared Empty Re: Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared

Wed May 17, 2023 5:16 am
Rog7 wrote:Embarassed  I never clicked Run as Administrator - that was my problem.

Sorry to have troubled you
Keith

Did rerunning the installer as administrator solve your problem of the missing Pandora module?

Butch
Rog7
Rog7

Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared Empty Re: Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared

Wed May 17, 2023 9:14 pm
Yes it did. Thanks Butch.

Why/How the Pandora.exe file disappeared in the first place is something I'm not going to trouble myself over - unless it happens again.

Keith
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:49 am
This can happen so easily to anyone.

Pandora.exe mysteriously disappeared Pandor62

It's a pity that the Pandora.exe executable is not automatically given the "Run as administrator" property. Brana, Can this be done?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:19 pm
Tony Austin wrote:
It's a pity that the Pandora.exe executable is not automatically given the "Run as administrator" property. Brana, Can this be done?

Tony,

It is not my experience that Pandora needs to be run in Administrator mode.  I only need to run the Pandora Installer in Administrator mode.

Perhaps, you could figure out what is different about your situation that requires Pandora run in Administrator mode.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:18 pm
It was only because Keith commented above that "I never clicked Run as Administrator - that was my problem." that I asked the question. t seems that I I misunderstood his intent, and that he meant this to apply to running the installer rather than the Pandora.exe client. As for myself, I don't run Pandora.exe as administrator, and everything works fine, like you meant just above..

The installation of Pandora happens either when it's not currently installed or as an upgrade. There are two ways that installation happens:
(1) Using File Explorer to initiate the installer when Pandora.exe is not running; or
(2) When you have just launched Pandora.exe, when it detects that an update is available and prompts you to install the update, it presumably runs under the same non-administrator privileges as the just-launched Pandora.exe client but for some reason (that I don't understand) carries out the update satisfactorily.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum, I download each new standalone installer version into an archive folder, just in case I need to revert to an older version (as occasionally happens).

I think it might be of benefit for the standalone installer to begin by reminder the user that it should be run as administrator, and offer en exit button so that the user can start the installation again in administrator mode. What do you all think (including Brana, of course)?
Rog7
Rog7

Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:06 pm
Tony Austin wrote:It was only because Keith commented above that "I never clicked Run as Administrator - that was my problem." that I asked the question. t seems that I I misunderstood his intent, and that he meant this to apply to running the installer rather than the Pandora.exe client.
Yes, I was referring to the installer. Sorry I caused confusion.

Keith
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum