Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
urbite

Starting Pandora requires elevated privileges Empty Starting Pandora requires elevated privileges

Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:02 pm
This doesn't seem like it should be required. Not sure how this happened. I did receive some out-of-band updates from Brana in response to bug reports. It's been a while, so don't remember exactly when. But maybe I had to give elevated privileges to install the updates and that affected the normal program startup???

How can I fix this so Pandora starts without requiring elevated privileges, but without losing any of my Pandora data?

I'd like to resolve this before upgrading to version 5.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Starting Pandora requires elevated privileges Empty Re: Starting Pandora requires elevated privileges

Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:10 pm
urbite wrote:This doesn't seem like it should be required. Not sure how this happened. I did receive some out-of-band updates from Brana in response to bug reports. It's been a while, so don't remember exactly when. But maybe I had to give elevated privileges to install the updates and that affected the normal program startup???

How can I fix this so Pandora starts without requiring elevated privileges, but without losing any of my Pandora data?

I'd like to resolve this before upgrading to version 5.

The only time the "Run as Administrator" option is required is during the execution of the Pandora Installer.  I have heard others say Pandora requires Administrator privileges to run but I have not found that to be true.

Right+click on the Pandora desktop icon, select Properties and left+click, on the Shortcut tab left+click, on the  Advanced button left+click, make sure the Run as Administrator option is not selected, left+click OK, and left+click OK.  Repeat for the Pandora icon if it is pinned to the Taskbar.  Also, check the Pandora.exe in the Program Files directory.

Hope this helps.

Butch
urbite

Starting Pandora requires elevated privileges Empty Re: Starting Pandora requires elevated privileges

Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:53 pm
The 'Run as administrator' checkbox under shortcuts is NOT selected.

However, under Security->Advanced, 'Owner' is listed as Administrators. Can someone who's not having to run Pandora as administrator/elevated privileges please check and see if your shortcut lists the owner as Administrators or regular user.

My user account also has administrator privileges, if that makes a difference. But, I have the option to change the owner to my user account from Administrators.

I want to get this fixed in my Pandora 4 installation, before I install v5 so that this isn't propagated.

butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:33 pm
urbite wrote:The 'Run as administrator' checkbox under shortcuts is NOT selected.

However, under Security->Advanced, 'Owner' is listed as Administrators. Can someone who's not having to run Pandora as administrator/elevated privileges please check and see if your shortcut lists the owner as Administrators or regular user.

My user account also has administrator privileges, if that makes a difference. But, I have the option to change the owner to my user account from Administrators.

I want to get this fixed in my Pandora 4 installation, before I install v5 so that this isn't propagated.

Pandora never runs with Administrator Privileges.

I do run the Pandora installer with Administrator Privileges so that certain system functions can be completed.  Beware, it you allow the last installation step to launch Pandora and you are running the installer with Administrator Privileges, then that execution of Pandora will have Administrator Privileges.  However, when Pandora is terminated and then launched  with a double click on the Pandora icon, Pandora is launched in with User Privileges.

On desktop shortcut icon for Pandora, the properties window shows: 1) on the Shortcut tab, Advanced button, there is no tick in the Run as administrator box; 2) on the Security tab, Advanced button, the owner is Administrators (BUTCH-DESKTOP)\Administrators.

On the c:\Program Files\Pandora folder, the Pandora.exe properties on the Compatibility tab, the properties window shows: 1) on the Comparability tab, there is no tick in Run this program as an Administrator; 2) on the Security tab, Advanced button, the owner is Administrators (BUTCH-DESKTOP)\Administrators.

In Settings, Accounts, under your info, my account is shown as an Administrator.

Click here for instruction on how to see if a program is running in Administrator or Elevated mode.  I checked an Pandora is not running in Administrator mode.  Use this tool to see if your Pandora is really running in Administrator mode.

Butch
urbite

Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:04 pm
Butch - thanks for the detailed reply.

See my answers below, in your quoted text. Basically, everything I see on my end is the same as yours. Interestingly, Pandora is NOT running in Administrator mode. But, I'm still getting the UAC popup when I launch Pandora, which I'd like to eliminate.

There is one important detail when Pandora is launched that I hadn't noticed until now. That is, the UAC popup message is "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher make changes to...". The name of the app in the UAC popup is MailboxCat.exe, not pandora.exe! The crazy thing is, I don't see MailboxCat.exe in the Task Manager program list after Pandora is launched???

Any ideas?

butchkemper wrote:

I do run the Pandora installer with Administrator Privileges so that certain system functions can be completed.  Beware, it you allow the last installation step to launch Pandora and you are running the installer with Administrator Privileges, then that execution of Pandora will have Administrator Privileges.  However, when Pandora is terminated and then launched  with a double click on the Pandora icon, Pandora is launched in with User Privileges.

On desktop shortcut icon for Pandora, the properties window shows: 1) on the Shortcut tab, Advanced button, there is no tick in the Run as administrator box; 2) on the Security tab, Advanced button, the owner is Administrators (BUTCH-DESKTOP)\Administrators.
These are the same settings that I see on my PC, except the computer name is different

On the c:\Program Files\Pandora folder, the Pandora.exe properties on the Compatibility tab, the properties window shows: 1) on the Comparability tab, there is no tick in Run this program as an Administrator; 2) on the Security tab, Advanced button, the owner is Administrators (BUTCH-DESKTOP)\Administrators.
These are the same settings that I see on my PC, except the computer name is different

In Settings, Accounts, under your info, my account is shown as an Administrator.
These are the same settings that I see on my PC

Click here for instruction on how to see if a program is running in Administrator or Elevated mode.  I checked an Pandora is not running in Administrator mode.  Use this tool to see if your Pandora is really running in Administrator mode.
Pandora is not running in Administrator mode

Butch
butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:21 pm
urbite wrote:Butch - thanks for the detailed reply.

See my answers below, in your quoted text. Basically, everything I see on my end is the same as yours. Interestingly, Pandora is NOT running in Administrator mode. But, I'm still getting the UAC popup when I launch Pandora, which I'd like to eliminate.

There is one important detail when Pandora is launched that I hadn't noticed until now. That is, the UAC popup message is "Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher make changes to...". The name of the app in the UAC popup is MailboxCat.exe, not pandora.exe! The crazy thing is, I don't see MailboxCat.exe in the Task Manager program list after Pandora is launched???

Any ideas?

butchkemper wrote:

These are the same settings that I see on my PC

Pandora is not running in Administrator mode

Butch

You have provided a good hint.

MailboxCat is the message indexing program in Pandora.

Start Pandora in Administrator mode which will allow MailBoxCat to start without the message.

Place the mouse on the menu item Settings and left+click, select General and shift+left+click, scroll down in the window to select MailboxCat and left+click.  A window will open up, make the New Value: to zero, left+click Change, and left+click OK.

Restart Pandora in normal mode.

That should make Pandora stop trying to run MailBoxCat at startup.

Butch

urbite likes this post

urbite

Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:47 am
butchkemper wrote:
You have provided a good hint.

MailboxCat is the message indexing program in Pandora.

Start Pandora in Administrator mode which will allow MailBoxCat to start without the message.

Place the mouse on the menu item Settings and left+click, select General and shift+left+click, scroll down in the window to select MailboxCat and left+click.  A window will open up, make the New Value: to zero, left+click Change, and left+click OK.

Restart Pandora in normal mode.

That should make Pandora stop trying to run MailBoxCat at startup.

Butch

Butch - that solved the problem completely! No more UAC popups for me when starting Pandora.

Thanks again for the detailed instructions. Now I feel more comfortable in upgrading to the latest Pandora.

BTW, should the MailCat/indexer program be run on occasion? What exactly does it do?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:27 pm
Glad to hear it worked for you.

butchkemper wrote:

You can use the above tool to see if MailCat is running.  It is running on my system but I do not have to start it - it happens automagically.  MailCat indexes mailboxes to make searches faster.

Butch
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum