Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
OutdoorBen

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Empty New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:56 am
Hi All --

New user here with a few first impressions and questions.

I've used Eudora since it came out.  Pandora Mail imported my email flawlessly! Fantastic. I tried importing my email into Outlook before I discovered Pandora and it hopelessly bungled the attachments. Very happy with Pandora.

Location Text: When reading an email, at the bottom, it shows the location of the attachments -- a very long string that squishes the other important info (name and size) and makes those hard to read. For me, it would be much better to remove the location as it is always the same and takes up valuable room. A little whitespace is a good thing Smile  Am I missing something that would make it useful for others...?

Pencil Edit: Any chance of improving this wonderful feature? I'm a HUGE fan of Eudora's pencil edit and Outlooks similar feature. Unfortunately, when I try to use Pandora's version on many emails, they immediately turn into a jumbled mess when I click the icon (I'm guessing is the difficulty of working with pure HTML, but I have not fully investigated that). I'm assuming that feature is a beast to make perfect, but I hope it gets some additional attention.

In-box lines: This may be pilot error on my part. The lines in my in-box are red; lines in other boxes are a clean black. Is there a feature to change the in-box color to be black on white? Any advice would be very appreciated. I really like the black.

Pandora has a lot going for it. Thank you for all the work!

-Ben
OutdoorBen

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Empty Re: New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development

Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:01 am
One other thing I forgot. Is there a global feature to change the text size in an email box? With 20+ years of emails, that would be really nice instead of having to do them one by one. Thanks.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Empty Re: New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:30 am
Hello OutdoorBen,

There is no way to turn Location column off but it's on to-do list.

You can specify the color for mailbox lines via More Settings (Shift + Settings/General); scroll down to MailboxLinesColor enter HTML color code (#000000 for black).

Mailbox Summaries tool (Tools menu) will change text size for multiple mailboxes.

OutdoorBen likes this post

Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:57 pm
Hello OutdoorBen, it's nice to meet you via this Pandora forum!

In Eudora,going back decades too, I also used to edit some of the incoming messages (to add useful notes, etc). Eudora did a fairly clean job with the editing, with the occasional message being hard to edit and I'm guessing this was caused by such messages being composed with invalid HTML, so that Eudora's message editor component couldn't make sense of parts of the message.

Like you, I still try to do such editing with Pandora and find that a rather high proportion of incoming messages get wildly jumbled up when you switch to edit mode. Adding text to the messages becomes virtually impossible.

Even worse than this, often when you attempt to reply to or forward a message -- even if you don't intend to do any editing before sending -- you find that the same crazy jumbled-up mess appears.

Below is an eBay message that shows a relatively mild rearrangement o the original message's body  The message doesn't look very much like the original, and in the worst cases the jumbling is far worse than with this example.

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Pandor45

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Pandor46

This aspect of message editing needs a fair bit of work done on it.

Last edited by Tony Austin on Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total

OutdoorBen likes this post

OutdoorBen

Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:34 pm
I can see how editing that message would be problematic as the HTML is not super basic. The vast majority of emails for me are essentially the equivalent of plain text, but with some minor HTML because that's what Microsoft seems to default to. Call me old school, but I miss the days of plain text for the vast majority of emails. So, I'm hoping that some improvements to relatively simple text/HTML editing will be easier -- stuff surrounded by basic paragraph tags with some breaks thrown in.

And, yes, I discovered the issue with jumbling emails on a forward or reply. That's really problematic for me and I'm hoping that gets cleaned up.

Finally, I was able to change the text size and line color. Much better!

Thanks for the replies. Very appreciated. Sorry it took so long to get back to you!
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:30 am
How's this for a WORST CASE SCENARIO?    This morning I tried to edit a new incoming message and Pandora presented a completely blank message body. The same for replying to and (as in the following screenshot) forwarding the message.

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Pandor52
butchkemper
butchkemper

Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:50 am
Tony Austin wrote:How's this for a WORST CASE SCENARIO?    This morning I tried to edit a new incoming message and Pandora presented a completely blank message body. The same for replying to and (as in the following screenshot) forwarding the message.

New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Pandor52

Tony,

Send a bug report to Brana and attache screenshot files showing the before message and the forward message.  Also, save the before message and forward message as files and attachment them to the message..

Regards,

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:57 am
G'day Butch.  I have previously reported this general problem to Brana, sending an example in files as you specified, but no fix yet (I suppose that so far he's flat out doing all sorts of other good things).

It happens with all sorts of HTML-formatted incoming messages that I get every day from a wide range of senders.  It seems to be a weakness of Pandora, in part (I would say) because the HTML in the messages is not kosher.

But also I don't thank that Pandora handles at all well the editing / replying to / forwarding such messages. Compare that with Eudora, where I rarely had problems with replying to or forwarding messages but sis have problems editing some of them (a noticeably smaller proportion of them compared with Pandora).

It's unfortunate that it happens with replying/forwarding where I don't even try to edit the message, but far worse when I attempt to edit [without sending] so as to add notes to a message, for example merely to add an invoice or order number or renewal date to the incoming message for a software product that I've purchased.

I've even noticed strange things happening when creating a brand new message, such as bulleted lists doing crazy things, pasting a URL (say) causing the URL to appear multiple times, undo/redo not working well or even causing the entire entered text to disappear, and so on. I will take it u[ again with Brana in the fullness of time.

I suspect that he'll have to do a fair bit of work to sort all this out.
But we all know that Brana can work miracles!
New User: remove attachment locations text and pencil edit development Comput10
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum