Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kostra

User friendliness of Pandora???? Empty User friendliness of Pandora????

Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:40 pm
Hello,

I'm an ex-Eudora user who has been wandering in the wilderness for the past couple years.  I recently saw a suggestion to try Pandora, which i had never heard of before.

I've tried Thunderbird, and ended up on MAILBIRD.  My system setup is a WIN7 Pro laptop, and I use the mail manager in pop3 mode.

I have about 150,000 emails from Eudora which i was able to transfer into TB, so that's a big deal to me.  Mailbird was NEVER able to import these into that system.

The reasons I am still looking:

1.)  the search function on MAILBIRD is FLINTSTONIAN - i.e. primitive.  When you have 150,000 old emails, you need something much more powerful and
2.) Mailbird does NOT seem to be able to hold a constant connection to AOL (my mail server).  I get "ERROR GETTING MESSAGES" or "ERROR SENDING MESSAGE" messages WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too often, most of the time at CRITICAL junctures.

By the way, altho Mailbird is rather amateurish, they still seem to work better than Thunderbird, which is completely inconsistent.  Sometimes, it works (brings emails in adequately), sometimes it doesn't.  Aint got the time for that kind of nonsense.

So my question is this: how does PANDORA stack up along these two criteria?

Thanks in advance!!!
butchkemper
butchkemper

User friendliness of Pandora???? Empty Re: User friendliness of Pandora????

Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:41 pm
Kostra wrote:Hello,

I'm an ex-Eudora user who has been wandering in the wilderness for the past couple years.  I recently saw a suggestion to try Pandora, which i had never heard of before.

I've tried Thunderbird, and ended up on MAILBIRD.  My system setup is a WIN7 Pro laptop, and I use the mail manager in pop3 mode.

I have about 150,000 emails from Eudora which i was able to transfer into TB, so that's a big deal to me.  Mailbird was NEVER able to import these into that system.

The reasons I am still looking:

1.)  the search function on MAILBIRD is FLINTSTONIAN - i.e. primitive.  When you have 150,000 old emails, you need something much more powerful and
2.) Mailbird does NOT seem to be able to hold a constant connection to AOL (my mail server).  I get "ERROR GETTING MESSAGES" or "ERROR SENDING MESSAGE" messages WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too often, most of the time at CRITICAL junctures.

By the way, altho Mailbird is rather amateurish, they still seem to work better than Thunderbird, which is completely inconsistent.  Sometimes, it works (brings emails in adequately), sometimes it doesn't.  Aint got the time for that kind of nonsense.

So my question is this: how does PANDORA stack up along these two criteria?

Thanks in advance!!!

Kostra,

I was a Eudora user since the early days when it was a Macintosh product.  In 1998, I purchased a small ISP and since the userbase was primarily PC based, I switched to a PC computer and started using Eudora.  About 3 years ago, I left Eudora for Pandora and it was the best decision ever.  I have never looked back nor had any regrets over making the switch.

Pandora has the "Eudora Look and Feel" but it does things the Pandora way.  The best to find out about Pandora to install the latest version, buy a license - it is not expensive, convert some emails to Pandora, and configure an email address so you can learn how things work.

I have accounts with Gmail - my domain is hosted there, GMX, Hotmail, and Yahoo.  The only one that gives any problems is Yahoo which occasionally has connectivity problems - this is not a Pandora problem because there was occasionally connectivity problems with Yahoo and Eudora.

Pandora does have  a conversion routine for email stored in Thunderbird format.  Look at the Import Witch under menu item Tools.

The Pandora documentation is sparse in some areas but in general you are able to figure things out by looking at options and experimenting with the settings.  There is two groups of settings:
  • Menu item Settings | General,
  • Menu item Settings | Shift+General

Additionally, there is limited documentation available under menu item Help.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, and I will try to help.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:56 am
Kostra, I afree totally with Butch's recommendation, you definitely should switch to Pandora. I also used Eudora for several decades before finding out about Pandora in April 2021, so now have nearly three years experience with Pandora.

Pandora has a Eudora-like look and feel, but several issues that Eudora has (such as UTF-8 character handling) are resolved, and there are lots of new features that you could only dream about with Eudora.

The developer Brana Bujenovic has done a great job with Pandora, provides excellent support and regularly adds enhancements, on top of which you can get assistance from this user forum.
kenny

Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:53 pm
Hi, I switched from Eudora relatively recently and am fairly satisfied with Pandora.

The one major thing which could be improved, especially when compared to Eudora, is the search function. Eudora was lightning quick and very intuitive there.

Now I often find myself going into gmail webmail to do searches...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum