Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
croos

Settings questions Empty Settings questions

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:27 pm
Preview pane
Pandora always starts with preview panes off. Can they be made to stay open once I've opened them?

Also, at Settings | Mailboxes | Preview Pane I've ticked Use global on/off state. I thought that would make all boxes have preview on if I turn it on for one. Doesn't happen.

Signatures
I've chosen a default signature at Composing Mail in Persona properties. It works only for the session. When I restart Pandora it's gone.

Where are settings like this stored? I thought it would be in pandora.conf, but that file has only two entries (see below). Nothing related to settings in the registry either. I chose not to use the registry, so that's no surprise.

Code:
[Storage]
Main=C:\Programs\MAIL\Pandora\MAIL\
[Settings]
Session=28
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Settings questions Empty Re: Settings questions

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:01 pm
No, there are no issues there.

Preview Pane, default signatures and all other settings are stored inside Pandora.ini or Windows Registry (choose under Settings/System Environment). If you don't have sufficient user privileges to change ini-files (or registry) you can't preserve settings across sessions.

Start Pandora as Administrator or elevate your Windows user account privileges.
croos

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:15 pm
Ah, an ini file was the first I looked for. But now I see it's inside the Mail directory (I had Pandora put mailboxes in that subfolder in the program directory). I only looked in Pandora's main directory. Is this where it should be or has something gone wrong here? It's full of entries, so it has been written to.

I already am administrator and I've already set Pandora to run as administrator. I may also add that I have no problems with other programs' settings, either they use ini files or not.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:23 pm
Move your mail data folder outside of programs directory, it's reserved for executable files, DLLs and such. That's applicable to all users (Administrators, Guests etc.).
croos

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:45 pm
Didn't make any difference. Pandora still forgets.
croos

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:55 pm
Wait, there is a difference. Now Pandora mostly, but not always, starts with preview on for all boxes, regardless of the state when I closed the program. Earlier it always started with preview off for all boxes.

Default signature is still not remembered. Use global on/off for preview doesn't seem to do anything at all (but maybe I misunderstand what it should do?). I removed and reset both sig and global on/off. Didn't help.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 pm
I think you still have something in the wrong place.  On the Pandora menu line, click on SESSION | INFO and copy all the information in the Session Information window.  This will show where are the files are located so please copy and paste the information in a reply to this topic.

When installed, Pandora selected C:/users/{username}/AppData/Roaming/Pandora/Mail for the location of the data files.  You changed that location to the Program Files folder which is a Windows protected location and Windows prevents Pandora from writing to protected locations.  You must choose a location that is not protected by Windows and where Pandora will have full read and write access.

I suggest changing the data folder back to the original location so you can get familiar with the program. This will remove the requirement to run Pandora in Administrator mode.   Later, you can move the data folder to a new location.

Butch
croos

Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:40 pm
The mailboxes and ini are where I moved them. Attachments are still in the Pandory directory, but I've set Pandora not to store them as separate files.

Next problem.
Can the preview pane be set not to interpret HTML when it sees tags? It seems even if it's a plain text email, <> get interpreted and displayed as HTML. For instance if a link is formatted old email style like below, it disappears.
Code:
<http://google.com>
And real HTML that's posted as sample code in plain text messages gets interpreted instead as displayed as written.

I'm on some mailing lists where code and markup samples are often posted and prefer to skim through the posts with preview instead of opening each single email. This makes them unreadable that way.

I'm sorry if I ask a lot of newbie questions. I've skimmed through the Help file and try to search it, but can't find anything. I'm so eager to get Pandora working..
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum