Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SnowBlake

Questions for first time install Empty Questions for first time install

Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:23 pm
I'm a LONG time Eudora user looking to try/switch to Pandora based on discussions on Eudora-Win on Listmoms.  I have a few questions.

1.  I downloaded the v4.1 zip today and Firefox flagged the download as coming from insecure (non https) site.  Is that a worry?

2.  As followup to 1st question, are there md5 or sha checksums available to verify the authenticity of the download?

3.  Can I pay for the license without PayPal?  (I do not have a PayPal account and an personally disinclined to support anything from the billionaire thug, Peter Thiel)

Thanks!
butchkemper
butchkemper

Questions for first time install Empty Re: Questions for first time install

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:31 am
SnowBlake wrote:I'm a LONG time Eudora user looking to try/switch to Pandora based on discussions on Eudora-Win on Listmoms.  I have a few questions.

1.  I downloaded the v4.1 zip today and Firefox flagged the download as coming from insecure (non https) site.  Is that a worry?

2.  As followup to 1st question, are there md5 or sha checksums available to verify the authenticity of the download?

3.  Can I pay for the license without PayPal?  (I do not have a PayPal account and an personally disinclined to support anything from the billionaire thug, Peter Thiel)

Thanks!

The correct download site is http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.zip - notice it is not https.

There are no published checksum for Pandora downloads.

On the Pandora webpage, click on the yellow button Add to Cart.  On the PayPal page, click on the lower checkout button which allows payment through PayPal using a credit card with a PayPal account..

Butch
SnowBlake

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:41 am
Thanks, @Butch.

butchkemper wrote:The correct download site is (snip - I'm a newbie and can't post links yet) - notice it is not https.

I had already downloaded the zip file, but I am wary of downloading from non-secure URLs without any way of assuring that the files are what they're supposed to be.  Once bitten, twice shy.  I'll put on my trusting cap for now, but I think checksum availability would be a good idea in future.

butchkemper wrote:On the Pandora webpage, click on the yellow button Add to Cart.  On the PayPal page, click on the lower checkout button which allows payment through PayPal using a credit card with a PayPal account..

As to the PayPal question, as I stated in my original post, I do not have a PayPal account and I do not want a PayPal account.  When I add Pandora to the cart, the top right of the shopping cart shows a yellow "PayPal checkout" button and also shows a "Check Out" button that also states "Pay without a PayPal account."  However, when I try that 2nd button to check out without Paypal, it takes me to the PayPal payment page which does not allow me to pay via credit card without also creating a PayPal account.  Am I missing something here?  

BTW, the Pandora home page shows a "Quickbuy" button that connects to a Digital River secure purchase site, which should allow credit card transactions, but it says "Product does not exist! At least one of the requested products does not exist."  I note that many of Brana's email utilities on his Commerce page include the Quickbuy button. None work.  What's up with that?

So, I'll ask my 3rd question again.  Can I purchase without a PayPal account?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:51 pm
SnowBlake wrote:Thanks, @Butch.

butchkemper wrote:The correct download site is (snip - I'm a newbie and can't post links yet) - notice it is not https.

I had already downloaded the zip file, but I am wary of downloading from non-secure URLs without any way of assuring that the files are what they're supposed to be.  Once bitten, twice shy.  I'll put on my trusting cap for now, but I think checksum availability would be a good idea in future.

butchkemper wrote:On the Pandora webpage, click on the yellow button Add to Cart.  On the PayPal page, click on the lower checkout button which allows payment through PayPal using a credit card with a PayPal account..

As to the PayPal question, as I stated in my original post, I do not have a PayPal account and I do not want a PayPal account.  When I add Pandora to the cart, the top right of the shopping cart shows a yellow "PayPal checkout" button and also shows a "Check Out" button that also states "Pay without a PayPal account."  However, when I try that 2nd button to check out without Paypal, it takes me to the PayPal payment page which does not allow me to pay via credit card without also creating a PayPal account.  Am I missing something here?  

BTW, the Pandora home page shows a "Quickbuy" button that connects to a Digital River secure purchase site, which should allow credit card transactions, but it says "Product does not exist! At least one of the requested products does not exist."  I note that many of Brana's email utilities on his Commerce page include the Quickbuy button. None work.  What's up with that?

So, I'll ask my 3rd question again.  Can I purchase without a PayPal account?

The Digital River company which processes the Quickbuy option is closing down - I am not sure if it is the whole company or only the option used for the Pandora license purchase,.  Anyway, Pandora is no longer available through that site.  I notified Brana and he will update the website when his work schedule permits.

To answer your 3rd question:No and No.  Going through PayPal is the only way to purchase a license for Pandora and you are not missing something.

Butch
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum